Who’s it for?
This is for you if you only have access to dumbbells (e.g. at your home or hotel gym) or simply prefer to do a dumbbell only routine.
What do I need?
You will need a set of dumbbells, a pull up bar (get one cheap on Amazon here), and a weight bench (if you don’t have one, I offer modifications below).
– The routine consists of two workouts (A and B), you will alternate between the two
– Perform the routine every other day (e.g. Monday do A, Wednesday do B, Friday do A, Sunday do B, etc.)
– Missing a day here and there is okay, don’t stress it
– Perform 3 sets of each exercise
– Select your starting weights by picking a weight you know you can perform 10 reps with good form
– The first day you do each exercise, perform 8 reps with that weight for all 3 sets
– If you can successfully do 8 reps for all 3 sets, move up to 9 reps the next day you do that workout
– Repeat the same process, and move up to 10 reps if you succeed at 9 (continue up until 12 reps)
– If you successfully do 3 sets of 12 reps, up the weight by 5 lb. and start again at 8 reps the next day you do that workout
– If you fail to get the target reps for all 3 sets anywhere along the way – go back to 8 reps (if you fail at 8 reps – drop the weight by 5 lbs.)
1. Goblet Squat
2. Dumbbell Bench Press (if no bench, do it on the floor – or do a Push Up)
3. One Arm Dumbbell Row (if no bench, use a chair)
4. Dumbbell Skull Crusher (if no bench, do them lying on the floor)
5. Lateral Side Raise
6. Plank (ignore the regular progression and go for 30-60 seconds)
1. Reverse Lunge
2. Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press (if no bench, do them standing)
3. Pull Up (there are no weights, so ignore the progression and just do 1 rep less than failure)
4. Dumbbell Curl
5. Lying Rear Delt Raise (if no bench, simply lean forward at the hips, keeping your chest up)
6. Hanging Leg Raise (ignore the regular progression and do as many reps as you can, raise your legs with knees bent if straight legs is too challenging)
What About Diet?
In the video above, I go over how to optimize your diet for building muscle. If you use this diet with the dumbbell bulking routine, I guarantee you’ll see fast results.